April 19, 2010

What Does Persnickety Really Mean?

[ adj) pernickety, persnickety ~ characterized by excessive precision and attention to trivial details "a persnickety job"; "a persnickety school teacher" ]

I'm just wondering if I qualify as a "persnickety" Gramma? Would the Adjective "particular" be more apt?

Anyhoooo....while we were out of town for a rare '2 day' treat attending a wedding I was as always analyzing myself again.

Yes I am a bit particular about a few things.  When staying in a hotel I have come to have a  preferrence for very good linens ..that do not look as though they came from the local $ store and were left in the dryer, added to my bed without folding  or smoothing snugly and wrinkle free when making the bed.  Just one of those things!

And I can adjust to the "instant" type breakfast they call "Continnental."
I can overlook coffee that isn't really perked but I simply can't abide the powdered coffee creamer that leaves a greasy film in my mouth.  And no the whole milk in the pitcher for cereal just won't make the difference. I need half and half for my coffee.

 I try to be a good sport about it..while I sit politely and "don't drink" my cup of black coffee.  I try not to be a nuisance to my husband and tell him not to worry with running down the street to a restaurant for my cream fix.  But the second morning when the hotel staff had not restocked the cream rack...I gave in and allowed myself to be a nuisance.

Did I mention that I absolutely detest drinking a hot/warm drink from a STYROFOAM CUP? [ solution: pack a fav mug from home]

Before you judge too harshly...YOU might have a aversion to styrofoam too if you carried with you  vivid  recall of turning up a cup of coffee [while driving] and feeling something "crawly" in your mouth from the bottom of the cup! Dontcha' think? That's my excuse!

How about Orange Juice at breakfast?  Love it? Yes/No
I like O.J. but with a  1/2 & 1/2 mix..orange juice with ginger ale.  Cold. :^D

Homemade or homemade-like Biscuits? Of course I like good biscuits.  But not too thick and fat! Since Ted doesn't care for the thin/tea biscuits we have the regular fat ones and I scoop out the excess 'inside' of the biscuit top & bottom~
Perfectly logical solution to me.

I suppose early on my husband may have been annoyed or perplexed with these peculiarities...though he never said.  Over time I think he just understands that 'we like what we like."  He doesn't complain.

The most recent addition to the "strange things about Gramma" list is something missing on our new vehicle.  We made the choice to trade in my car [Honda Odysse] and make our second automobile a truck with extended cab..  I really like it..rides as comfortably as a large car and  it will meet our needs quite well.

There's only one thing that really bugs me everytime I start to get in on the passenger side.  It doesn't have keyless entry.  I have to wait on my side when Ted's driving, for him to unlock me from the driver's side.  Anyone watching is likely to think...mmmm rude husband! 

Of course that's because I have been spoiled having a husband who usually opens the car door for me...yes, he's a gentleman in so many ways.

I think it amuses him that this bothers me.  I'll get over it. :^)
I know that he is not rude no matter what anyone observing may think.

I'm sure there are more weird things about Gramma that qualify for this list..we'll update later as I become more and more 'persnickety" or "particular" with time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is intended to be an exchange of thoughts, recollections and ideas.
A note /comment from you Makes My Day- I would be honored to have you sign on as a FOLLOWER.