December 07, 2012

Gramma is Never Too Old To Learn-

Can you believe I am still into pre Christmas cleaning at our house? Finally, I got to the PANTRY PROJECT.  It wasn't unbearable but I knew how long it had been neglected and it bothered me. 
Pantry clean and organize is not a major chore..it just needs to be done and I was quite proud of myself reaching the halfway mark..finishing one side-half way to the goal line.
I knew I had accomplished something as I tossed those now full trash bags into the garbage outside-the bags weighed "a ton"...or so it seemed.
You ask why?  The why is because I discovered quite a few cans of outdated food items..the 'best used by' or the 'Sell by" dates were 'history'. I was quite pleased with myself, knowing I could trust what's on my pantry shelves.
Now- the reason for this post:  Have you ever wondered what the difference is in the two stamps on items in your fridge or pantry?  I too have wondered and as I again pondered this question actually made it to the computer room to ask the question. 
It's not as 'cut & dried' as one might think. I googled  "the difference between "sell by" and "use by" dates. First go to  http://stilltasty.com/  but then check out one or two other search results.  It's enlightening. Don't take my word for it. I just bet many of you have considered the same thing as you carefully examine those little "stamps" which by the way are often a major challenge  just to be able to read the "4" fonts.
May I challenge you to share this information?  I think our friends, family and blogger connections would appreciate this wee bit of enlightenment.
Even Grammas are never too old to learn!


1 comment:

  1. Jonell, Congrats on the pantry cleaning. It is always a hard project to start but so satisfying once it's done, isn't it? I went to the site you linked to and there is a "keep it or toss it" link that will sure come in handy. I had always wondered about all those extra stamps on cans and bottles too. The older I get, the more I get freaked out by old food, so I enjoyed your post and appreciated the link to the info!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete

This is intended to be an exchange of thoughts, recollections and ideas.
A note /comment from you Makes My Day- I would be honored to have you sign on as a FOLLOWER.