June 20, 2016

Some Things I Don't Do ~ Anymore

In this new world I find I am still adjusting to changes-still. 

(Just in case you were w-o-n-d-e-r-I-n-g-)










I don't buy a gallon  of milk anymore.  I pretty much don't even buy milk. 
So what about the calcium my body needs?  I take supplements and now and then-perhaps weekly I will pour myself maybe 2-4 ounces of half and half cream (a must for good coffee) and drink that or add the milk to a bowl of cereal!

I don't eat a lot of meat  either.  However, I do try to keep track of how much or little protein I am taking in  and that's when I decide to eat out and enjoy a small steak or baked or grilled  Salmon.   If my healthy dinner out is one of the local country buffet restaurants that's when I indulge in fried catfish.

Another mental note about protein -I regularly stock great nuts for snacks.  Walnuts, pecans and especially enjoy the little 100 calorie packets of smoked almonds.

Years ago we agreed to bring large cartons of our very favorite ice cream home only if we were expecting company or hosting a party. When we just had to have ice cream we would  grab a small, pint size from the supermarket and share it at home. 

In the past when choosing fruit at the market I would be careful to get no more than 4 bananas to bring home but now- two bananas ...they don't last long.  There is pretty much the same with avacados...am usually sorry if I count out 3 or 4.  The odds are one or two will spoil before they're used up.

And did I mention that these days my bread always goes into the refrigerator.  Now I know why Nanny always had her's in the fridge..  When I have more sugar than my canister will hold the excess is refrigerated too.




Another fyi....While for so many years my basic canisters  will hold close to 5lb. bags of things like flour, corn meal, sugar,etc.....now works best if I buy a smaller ( 1 or 2 lb. ) bag .  Any extra of these grocery staples will store just fine in the fridge.

All my grocery staples now store the same (in glass /closed) canisters in my pantry for the simple reason that I do not use up  these things as in the past.




Changes- who knew ?!!

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes change is good isn't it? Happy Day. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete

This is intended to be an exchange of thoughts, recollections and ideas.
A note /comment from you Makes My Day- I would be honored to have you sign on as a FOLLOWER.