November 29, 2009

What's a Gramma Want for Christmas?

First I just love Christmas time,period.

Next, I love being with people I love or like and people who love us!
Blue lights in the windows. In Texas Ted constructed a very large star outline for me..wrapped it in blue lights and set it atop "the old barn"..doesn't that say Bethlehem?!!

Candles, Candles and more candlelight..all over the house,even on the deck and front porch. Santa can always give me more CANDLES!

Jingle Bells!!!!!!!! Yes, I love the jingle jangle sound of bells that sound like sleigh bells in the distance.

Hot Tea, Spiced Tea, Hot Chocolate and Wassail!

Christmas Music..O Holy Night, Silent Night,


Fruitcake..yes I do like fruit cake. to be specific I like Claxton fruit cake,made in Georgia.  It's heavy on fruit and nuts and not much cake.  A little goes a long way. Just pour a small cup of hot wassail or black coffee,that's all you need.

I DO NOT need big expensive gifts for Christmas, small, inexpensive, thoughtful things are my kind of gifts. One of my favorite gifts during the past 25 years was a package of a dozen yellow legal pads from a daughter in law.  That gift said; "I notice" and "I remember."  She noticed that I always used those for making study notes.

It's hard to think of grand, extravagant gifts..after all Christmas takes note of the greatest gift of all The Saviour, Christ our Lord.  Every thing else is small by comparison.

So, if a loved one wants to really "make my Christmas"..just come to see me, with bells on and spend time sharing all the homemade goodies , visiting with candle light and enjoying the Christmas trees and outdoor Christmas lights.
And let's share Christmas memories with Carols in the background  until it's time to go to church for a quiet sweet joyous candlelight service.

That's Christmastime! Time spent Together, Remembering important things, Sharing Small things that matter and being there for no other reason than that you want to be with each other..and no one is in a hurry to leave!

Then when everyone has left or gone to bed I so love to sit in the living room with my pretty warm socks on, a pretty tea cup in hand with warm wassail or a wonderful hand thrown pottery mug filled with hot chocolate or hot tea..just hugging the cup and soaking in the incredible beauty of the clear white lights on the Christmas tree, all decorated in white and gold/silver with clear glass ornaments that reflect the light. I never tire of this setting. It's better than unwrapping  Christmas gifts. The quiet and the beauty is pure..gifts are not always-they sometimes get complicated & mixed in with less than pure motives or intent. Just keep it simple.

Another  Christmastime [ or anytime] thing that gives me great pleasure is seeing families together at church.  On  days like these we see older couples with their grown up children and Grands who are visiting all fill a pew or two and everyone knows that's one happy Mom & Dad or Grandparents -such a simple thing~having your family sitting in worship service with you. ..Christmas Eve or Christmas Day service, a Big Anniversary or milestone Birthday.

post script:
What does a Gramma want for Christmas & every other day of the year?  - to be needed, valued, visible. remembered, noticed, considered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is intended to be an exchange of thoughts, recollections and ideas.
A note /comment from you Makes My Day- I would be honored to have you sign on as a FOLLOWER.